Sunday, October 11, 2009

BP7_20091011_Web_2.0_Applications_3




In my earlier posts, I’ve discussed that I’m working toward creating an online class for my Computer Basics class at my school. But prior to Full Sail, I truly did not know where to begin except for the traditional web site which I felt would not be sufficient. This week my professor had us exploring Web 2.0 applications and I’ve come across several interesting things to consider now for an online class. One of these is Eduslide ( http://www.eduslide.com/ ); it is a learning content management systems (LCMS) with choices. You can chose to use their online LCMS builder or your can chose to house it on your server through open-source software.

According to Eduslide’s web site you can maximize learning potential through innovative e-learning approaches from various channels and categories or create all your own information with the maximum of productivity. Which ever way you choose to use this online resource it contains quite a few features: chat rooms; forums; ability to create objectives for task based learning; public or private course; invitation based learning; quiz creation; track and grading progress; resource library of over 70,000 learning videos; add your own audio/video; Microsoft PowerPoint’s can be converted in to Adobe Flash documents; ability to duplicate course; set privileges; assign students; tag; and their revolutionary tree structure view for course completion discernment (VTC, 2009).




As you can see from the screen shot above ( http://computerbasics.eduslide.net/ ), I started my own web page to begin ‘toying’ with the ease of use and feasibility of use for my needs in my Computer Basics course. I found it a little clunky and not completely intuitive. There are not any instructions on its use or tutorials on how to build your own site. It is free, so for the price some of these issues can be overlooked. It did allow the ability to upload my own recourses and access resources of others whom have marked them free or open to the public. I plan on continuing to explore the online version along with the free open-source version for your server. However, the sever version’s feasibility will have to be determined by our IT Director, if it works well, I’m sure he will welcome the ‘already written’ resource.


Resources:
Virtual Training Company. (2009, October 11). Eduslide. Retrieved from http://www.eduslide.com/

Brayer, D. (2009, October 11). CCHS computer basics: Welcome to the cyber jungle.
Retrieved from http://computerbasics.eduslide.net/


1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear what you finally go with and how it is working for you:).

    ReplyDelete