Friday, October 23, 2009

BP11_200910123_Web_2.0_Applications_4


Computer Basics is one of the subjects I teach, but I cannot cover all there is to cover in one semester. The computer world changes daily and so must my assignments. In this one semester, I must cover two platforms (MAC and PC) and several software programs. If I dwell on the amount of information that needs to be relayed, it can become overwhelming. Oh and don’t forget what the ‘state’ wants the students to know and or learn to be proficient. I try to cover what I can, but I also try to give students ‘tools’ to continue learning on their own. So, this week, when I found a web site with videos tutorial called Woopid (http://www.woopid.com/ ), I became very excited, but the best part of it is that it is ‘free.’

First, Woopid is ‘searchable’ for quick access to the tutorial information. Second, it also lists the available tutorials in a library, which can be viewed by subject, title or vendor. The thing I found unique about Woopid’s library is that it includes Hardware, Internet, MAC, Ubuntu (which I have no idea what it is) and Windows not just software.



Third, they ‘bundle’ the video tutorial together in a logical order that allow the viewer to go forward or backward as needed in they’re learning process. I feel this is a good way for a student to learn and to be in control of their pace. Finally, if the Woopid site doesn’t have what you are looking for, you can request a personal tutorial for a feel of $3.99. Personally, this is a very small fee for a personalized video tutorial.

I highly recommend this Web 2.0 tool. It is a great resource to share with colleagues and parents. I believe it will help students while they are taking my class and, hopefully, will remain a great resource for them long after they have finish my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment